Skip to main content

Some odd swing thing

Sun swarms, you know, in trumpet bells. It’s mad like snow storms in springtime. ‘Jazz night?’
      So Stella sang memories and allowed them to bump into each other. She remembered what she learned in theory: “It is about control and manipulation. It is not about kissing the sky.” Sure, she believed it. Believed it in her belly and in the whites of her eyes. Saw it in the light in the bell of a trumpet. Sun swarms more inside than outside. Sun doesn’t kiss the sky, sun is the sky, looming like an unexpected airplane in your peripheral, spontaneous like children who leap up during concerts and run up and down banisters, who scribble in notebooks during church, who build miniature snow men in spring-snow-time recess. It’s more than a ritual.                                                                                                      
                     Space is provocative too.
There’s depth in the night, in the dark nebulas. In the mystery of not-knowing and the knowing of no mystery. Misery is no joke but Stella laughed when she came home to no daughter and no refrigerator—the frig smelled like limes they said, sour, the tenants had to empty it because her cinnamon rolls molded. ‘It’s whatever,’ she sighed.
     Her home is shaped round like a bell—round with a point like the nice nose of a spring-snow-man dripping. It’s a nice house by itself, but she tries not to look around when she comes home from a gig. The houses on either side are abandoned. Each had her own little death and should have passed on, but they hang on like limp moth wings. Her house is withered flesh, holding them together. 

     God bless our home.
     The children have gone and left this small town—gone to be near the sea or something. Sun lives near the sea too and rises in rose form. Its petals stretch up like long, lingering giraffe necks—dark tongues kissing dark nebulas, kissing the sky, sky scheming. Foxes sometimes venture into her yard and tilt their heads. So does she, singing some odd swing thing.
     This city died and should be gone. Stella sits cross legged, limp, holding it together, the remnant of a glory city in the dark brown coat of a darling.‘I need a break,’ she sometimes whispers to the trumpet player who takes over,screaming sunshine for a tune.




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulitzer

I. I am reading a children’s book called Hamish and Trieta , in which Hamish is a cow and Trieta is a bird. These two become fast friends. Good pals. Buddies. Sometimes the bird sits upon the cow’s back. Often the cow wishes he might sit upon the bird’s back, but of course this is impossible. The poor darling bird simply flits away, c hirping, chirping, always chirping, full of nonsense, not explaining. They fall apart, like many others in this fickle universe. Separated. I close Hamish and Trieta . What a hideous story. I was seduced by its whimsical cover, entranced by its gilded pages. Mother bought it for me ages ago from some downtown bookstore with cerulean walls.  Pulitzer, declares the cover, in golden script. I do not understand what a Pulitzer is and I do not particularly care.             I am a child, yet I know that horrid things do not deserve Pulitzer awards. Rage, like vomit, pools in my throat. ...

The Anatomy of One Particular Newt and All Events Concerning

I don’t understand why you people keep pronouncing me late.  Why, I missed the entire school day, plus a couple more! If my absence can be dubbed “tardiness,” than my dead newt can certainly pass as art work.  I cannot believe that you would be so shallow as to say it is trash. Really, The insolence of some people. My newt was top notch.  No one should ever be allowed to judge art work unless they understand the simple beauty of it all.  If anything expresses the miracle of life, it is a newt’s organs pinned to a poster board. Abstract art, some would say, but not I.  Abstraction is the mystery of life, but functionality of a newt is the proof of it. And what more is art than the celebration and proof of the miraculous world that we all inhabit?   Ah, but that is not the point of the matter.  My tardiness, or absence as I would say, is the matter at hand.  It was a frightening experience, and cannot be expressed in a 100 words, as yo...

Fragile

There are some fragile things -- things that don't seem like they should be fragile, but are. Mostly you don't think about fragile things. It's almost as if to think about them would be all at once to crush them. Like my mother's satin pea coat -- stiff and hanging in her closet all these years. As if she would have worn it all these years, with her three rowdy boys.  "Aren't the clouds nice?" Marilyn said the other day, when we were sitting on the roof. Marilyn is my girlfriend, and she likes being in high places.  I looked for a while before I responded, noting the crumpled cashmere clouds in their constant state of change.  "Yes," I lied. Clouds are one of those things you don't think about often, but when you do, you realize that you have absolutely no control over them. None at all.  On Friday, Mom wore her pea coat. She said it was brown but it was definitely black. She looked weird, all dressed up like that. ...