Skip to main content

Rot

Geoffrey unwrapped the gift when nobody was looking: a mango, and it sat on the counter observing
the flutter of wrapping paper, the general unease of decadence, the laziness of light fixtures. 
            “That’s ok,” the others said. Geoffrey could have the mango if he wanted. He thought long and hard about drawing a face on it. Some siblings said no.
            “You’ll mess it up.” said Suze, but Geoffrey wanted to draw the face. Geoffrey was obviously artistic because he wore Weston’s hat sometimes and wore the same shirt three days in a row and left the bus stop last Tuesday to go hunt lizards.
            Then Geoffrey decided that mangos do not have faces and that’s just fine—he put the mango in Suze’s American Girl Doll cradle and it lay there for a long while slurping shallow breaths sometimes.

On the very-merry-day-after-Christmas, Les and Weston went hunting for the mango.
            “Mangos must be eaten,” the parents said at the house meeting. Ten children caught Geoffrey in the corner of the pantry and Les held him up by the scruff of his neck.
            “Where is the mango?” Les shook Geoffrey a little. Geoffrey squeezed his face shut like a dried strawberry.
            “I won’t say!” said Geoffrey.
            They swatted him fourteen times on the bum. Fourteen was Geoffrey’s least favorite number. After that they told Geoffrey to run and get a fly swatter and swat some flies, because Geoffrey loved bugs.


The poor chap sometimes snuck out on the roof of the house and burned incense.
            He wasn’t allowed to have incense and he knew it, so he stole some from Suze because she wasn’t allowed to have incense and knew it, so she stole some from a party where she, wistful, watched all the satin smoke sliver out of the tall wooden container. Wooden like a casket, wooden like a wedding chest, wooden like oak trees falling over in an ice storm.  
            Geoffrey was enchanted—this smoke slower than Boy Scout smoke, slower than Les’s cigarette smoke. It was graceful like so many velvet dragons. Graceful enough to grab and let go again. Like fishing, when you catch a little one and let him go before he bleeds out. 


At once Weston found his son on the roof of the house.
            “It’s my garden,” Geoffrey declared. Scattered around him was a coconut and a cucumber, three bananas, and a pineapple from next door. “Mango belongs up here with the others.”
            but Dad picked up the mango and examined it.
            “Look, it’s starting to rot a little bit,” he said. “Mangos do that.” Mangos rot. Fish rot. People rot. Not everything is incense and velvet dragons. 
            Geoffrey was kind of crying and the incense had just burnt out and there was no more smoke to catch in his palm. “So what do we do?”
            “We’ll dry it out.”
            They sliced a faceless mango into polished strips, slumbered under space blankets on the roof, and the morning brought a hot Arizona sun that tasted like watermelon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulitzer

I. I am reading a children’s book called Hamish and Trieta , in which Hamish is a cow and Trieta is a bird. These two become fast friends. Good pals. Buddies. Sometimes the bird sits upon the cow’s back. Often the cow wishes he might sit upon the bird’s back, but of course this is impossible. The poor darling bird simply flits away, c hirping, chirping, always chirping, full of nonsense, not explaining. They fall apart, like many others in this fickle universe. Separated. I close Hamish and Trieta . What a hideous story. I was seduced by its whimsical cover, entranced by its gilded pages. Mother bought it for me ages ago from some downtown bookstore with cerulean walls.  Pulitzer, declares the cover, in golden script. I do not understand what a Pulitzer is and I do not particularly care.             I am a child, yet I know that horrid things do not deserve Pulitzer awards. Rage, like vomit, pools in my throat. ...

The Anatomy of One Particular Newt and All Events Concerning

I don’t understand why you people keep pronouncing me late.  Why, I missed the entire school day, plus a couple more! If my absence can be dubbed “tardiness,” than my dead newt can certainly pass as art work.  I cannot believe that you would be so shallow as to say it is trash. Really, The insolence of some people. My newt was top notch.  No one should ever be allowed to judge art work unless they understand the simple beauty of it all.  If anything expresses the miracle of life, it is a newt’s organs pinned to a poster board. Abstract art, some would say, but not I.  Abstraction is the mystery of life, but functionality of a newt is the proof of it. And what more is art than the celebration and proof of the miraculous world that we all inhabit?   Ah, but that is not the point of the matter.  My tardiness, or absence as I would say, is the matter at hand.  It was a frightening experience, and cannot be expressed in a 100 words, as yo...

Fragile

There are some fragile things -- things that don't seem like they should be fragile, but are. Mostly you don't think about fragile things. It's almost as if to think about them would be all at once to crush them. Like my mother's satin pea coat -- stiff and hanging in her closet all these years. As if she would have worn it all these years, with her three rowdy boys.  "Aren't the clouds nice?" Marilyn said the other day, when we were sitting on the roof. Marilyn is my girlfriend, and she likes being in high places.  I looked for a while before I responded, noting the crumpled cashmere clouds in their constant state of change.  "Yes," I lied. Clouds are one of those things you don't think about often, but when you do, you realize that you have absolutely no control over them. None at all.  On Friday, Mom wore her pea coat. She said it was brown but it was definitely black. She looked weird, all dressed up like that. ...