Skip to main content

Night run

I never run for long. Just long enough for a pleasant loop around all the pretty houses, around all the ugly houses. When I run, I teach my mind to wander.
            Just yesterday some folks and I went out for clam chowder. I’m an old fool and a lazy conversationalist. Making good conversation is like avoiding sprinklers in your mother’s garden. I had to do something in that damn fish house, so I scribbled a few words on a napkin: romance: an empty tin of chocolate covered raisins.
            Anyway.
            I’m running under silver rain on a weepy street that sweats worms. The moon hums. I listen to restless, slithering serpents in the grass. Funny what might be considered a song.
A voice shatters everything.
“Dad?” Oh no, that’s my son. My son and his burgundy van.
            I try to look small like a rabbit on the side of the road. I think rabbits make a conscious effort to look small.
            “Dad!” he scolds me, “You can’t be out here like this.” All at once I am swallowed by a blanket, and Drew opens the back door of the van and rolls me inside. I hate that door. Every time he opens that door I hate it all over again.

            You know what else I hate? The fancy floor mirror in my entryway. Every time I pass that mirror I see myself and my hollow imagination. I see my wheelchair. Mostly, I see where my thighs end before my knees.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulitzer

I. I am reading a children’s book called Hamish and Trieta , in which Hamish is a cow and Trieta is a bird. These two become fast friends. Good pals. Buddies. Sometimes the bird sits upon the cow’s back. Often the cow wishes he might sit upon the bird’s back, but of course this is impossible. The poor darling bird simply flits away, c hirping, chirping, always chirping, full of nonsense, not explaining. They fall apart, like many others in this fickle universe. Separated. I close Hamish and Trieta . What a hideous story. I was seduced by its whimsical cover, entranced by its gilded pages. Mother bought it for me ages ago from some downtown bookstore with cerulean walls.  Pulitzer, declares the cover, in golden script. I do not understand what a Pulitzer is and I do not particularly care.             I am a child, yet I know that horrid things do not deserve Pulitzer awards. Rage, like vomit, pools in my throat. ...

The Anatomy of One Particular Newt and All Events Concerning

I don’t understand why you people keep pronouncing me late.  Why, I missed the entire school day, plus a couple more! If my absence can be dubbed “tardiness,” than my dead newt can certainly pass as art work.  I cannot believe that you would be so shallow as to say it is trash. Really, The insolence of some people. My newt was top notch.  No one should ever be allowed to judge art work unless they understand the simple beauty of it all.  If anything expresses the miracle of life, it is a newt’s organs pinned to a poster board. Abstract art, some would say, but not I.  Abstraction is the mystery of life, but functionality of a newt is the proof of it. And what more is art than the celebration and proof of the miraculous world that we all inhabit?   Ah, but that is not the point of the matter.  My tardiness, or absence as I would say, is the matter at hand.  It was a frightening experience, and cannot be expressed in a 100 words, as yo...

Fragile

There are some fragile things -- things that don't seem like they should be fragile, but are. Mostly you don't think about fragile things. It's almost as if to think about them would be all at once to crush them. Like my mother's satin pea coat -- stiff and hanging in her closet all these years. As if she would have worn it all these years, with her three rowdy boys.  "Aren't the clouds nice?" Marilyn said the other day, when we were sitting on the roof. Marilyn is my girlfriend, and she likes being in high places.  I looked for a while before I responded, noting the crumpled cashmere clouds in their constant state of change.  "Yes," I lied. Clouds are one of those things you don't think about often, but when you do, you realize that you have absolutely no control over them. None at all.  On Friday, Mom wore her pea coat. She said it was brown but it was definitely black. She looked weird, all dressed up like that. ...