Skip to main content

Stream of Conscience

 Shh, you say, to the bearer of bad news. Shh to the news nobody wants to know. There is not much formality involved here. It is not as if I am tied up or anything. I flit about and sometimes return to you because I am curious and that is that. I have lots of hobbies. Like painting my ceiling yellow. In fact, Shh to you. Quit acting clever. Quit admiring the sun. Quit trying to express the beautiful things you observe. Your motivations are all wrong. Please re-evaluate.
 Since you never heed me I might go away now. I might just back off and leave you to your own foolishness. Sorting through your memories is wearisome. Nudging you in certain directions is disappointing. You think you are ready to teach others but you do not know what to persuade because you are not sure what you have been persuaded. All of this unfortunate business reflects badly on me, and means dreadful things for you. Oh, how I wish the Commander might reassign me to some more hopeful place, like Nineveh. Because your words are not few, and most things about you are vain or in vain, or a striving after wind, and I feel like a fool when I sit on your shoulders. Curious, how you love all of the imperfection you observe and how you say it is beautiful. Frustrating, how you treasure such things yet think no more of their hidden things. You are easily satisfied with whimsical answers.
 I might not be able to convince you that time is only an illusion, or that an unchanging thing exists, or that you are allowed to choose to love and that is something, at least. So I will shut myself away from you and mourn for you beneath my painted yellow ceilings. I am sorry. More sorry than usual, because I admire the nature of your flaw — your pride in your world’s imperfection, and in your own imperfection. Dear friend, there is beauty in imperfection. But imperfection, on its own, is not beautiful in the slightest.


.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulitzer

I. I am reading a children’s book called Hamish and Trieta , in which Hamish is a cow and Trieta is a bird. These two become fast friends. Good pals. Buddies. Sometimes the bird sits upon the cow’s back. Often the cow wishes he might sit upon the bird’s back, but of course this is impossible. The poor darling bird simply flits away, c hirping, chirping, always chirping, full of nonsense, not explaining. They fall apart, like many others in this fickle universe. Separated. I close Hamish and Trieta . What a hideous story. I was seduced by its whimsical cover, entranced by its gilded pages. Mother bought it for me ages ago from some downtown bookstore with cerulean walls.  Pulitzer, declares the cover, in golden script. I do not understand what a Pulitzer is and I do not particularly care.             I am a child, yet I know that horrid things do not deserve Pulitzer awards. Rage, like vomit, pools in my throat. ...

The Anatomy of One Particular Newt and All Events Concerning

I don’t understand why you people keep pronouncing me late.  Why, I missed the entire school day, plus a couple more! If my absence can be dubbed “tardiness,” than my dead newt can certainly pass as art work.  I cannot believe that you would be so shallow as to say it is trash. Really, The insolence of some people. My newt was top notch.  No one should ever be allowed to judge art work unless they understand the simple beauty of it all.  If anything expresses the miracle of life, it is a newt’s organs pinned to a poster board. Abstract art, some would say, but not I.  Abstraction is the mystery of life, but functionality of a newt is the proof of it. And what more is art than the celebration and proof of the miraculous world that we all inhabit?   Ah, but that is not the point of the matter.  My tardiness, or absence as I would say, is the matter at hand.  It was a frightening experience, and cannot be expressed in a 100 words, as yo...

Fragile

There are some fragile things -- things that don't seem like they should be fragile, but are. Mostly you don't think about fragile things. It's almost as if to think about them would be all at once to crush them. Like my mother's satin pea coat -- stiff and hanging in her closet all these years. As if she would have worn it all these years, with her three rowdy boys.  "Aren't the clouds nice?" Marilyn said the other day, when we were sitting on the roof. Marilyn is my girlfriend, and she likes being in high places.  I looked for a while before I responded, noting the crumpled cashmere clouds in their constant state of change.  "Yes," I lied. Clouds are one of those things you don't think about often, but when you do, you realize that you have absolutely no control over them. None at all.  On Friday, Mom wore her pea coat. She said it was brown but it was definitely black. She looked weird, all dressed up like that. ...