Skip to main content

Bellboy

Bellboy

Susan and her unremarkable friend—visitors from there, here. Ambitious adventurers in the form of light lock hair and paper cup, plastic lid. Listless wanderers collecting silver leaves, collecting unopened maps and chamomile teas. They curve in the wind like crescent moons.
            Susan’s friend points, her pointing finger poking at least one hole in the air. “Look there, Susan—under the pine—there’s the bellboy.”
            He’s shut-eyed and chapped-lipped, conifer cones clinging to his cloak. He came over from the metro but belongs here where glow-in-the-dark stars fade and fall from the ceiling onto the backs of his dusty eyelids. His shoes are dusty too, from places he cannot go or come from—the golden graham coast, the orchard, the whole lot of life uncontained in a capsule.  
            Dust is elegant.

In the earliest and whitest of lily robe dawns, Bellboy sets out a vat of crystal water. He carries apple orchards on his back and hoists lighthouses under his eyebrows. He stands straight and solitary, stomping outside in the largest, dustiest storm puddle . . . . wiping down weathered shoes with rainwater. 
    



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulitzer

I. I am reading a children’s book called Hamish and Trieta , in which Hamish is a cow and Trieta is a bird. These two become fast friends. Good pals. Buddies. Sometimes the bird sits upon the cow’s back. Often the cow wishes he might sit upon the bird’s back, but of course this is impossible. The poor darling bird simply flits away, c hirping, chirping, always chirping, full of nonsense, not explaining. They fall apart, like many others in this fickle universe. Separated. I close Hamish and Trieta . What a hideous story. I was seduced by its whimsical cover, entranced by its gilded pages. Mother bought it for me ages ago from some downtown bookstore with cerulean walls.  Pulitzer, declares the cover, in golden script. I do not understand what a Pulitzer is and I do not particularly care.             I am a child, yet I know that horrid things do not deserve Pulitzer awards. Rage, like vomit, pools in my throat. ...

The Anatomy of One Particular Newt and All Events Concerning

I don’t understand why you people keep pronouncing me late.  Why, I missed the entire school day, plus a couple more! If my absence can be dubbed “tardiness,” than my dead newt can certainly pass as art work.  I cannot believe that you would be so shallow as to say it is trash. Really, The insolence of some people. My newt was top notch.  No one should ever be allowed to judge art work unless they understand the simple beauty of it all.  If anything expresses the miracle of life, it is a newt’s organs pinned to a poster board. Abstract art, some would say, but not I.  Abstraction is the mystery of life, but functionality of a newt is the proof of it. And what more is art than the celebration and proof of the miraculous world that we all inhabit?   Ah, but that is not the point of the matter.  My tardiness, or absence as I would say, is the matter at hand.  It was a frightening experience, and cannot be expressed in a 100 words, as yo...

Fragile

There are some fragile things -- things that don't seem like they should be fragile, but are. Mostly you don't think about fragile things. It's almost as if to think about them would be all at once to crush them. Like my mother's satin pea coat -- stiff and hanging in her closet all these years. As if she would have worn it all these years, with her three rowdy boys.  "Aren't the clouds nice?" Marilyn said the other day, when we were sitting on the roof. Marilyn is my girlfriend, and she likes being in high places.  I looked for a while before I responded, noting the crumpled cashmere clouds in their constant state of change.  "Yes," I lied. Clouds are one of those things you don't think about often, but when you do, you realize that you have absolutely no control over them. None at all.  On Friday, Mom wore her pea coat. She said it was brown but it was definitely black. She looked weird, all dressed up like that. ...