Skip to main content

Cinnamon


For a while there Peter turned his head away from the window and toward the door. He lay that way in his bed for a while, hoping some soul might enter his room and prop the door open. Open the window a crack, please, he asked. Bring me a cup of ice please, he cracked. A picture of a moon hangs above his closet. The moon is black as tar on the bottom, a frothing firmament of sea rising below. A hurricane forming. Vast waters draping edges of the portrait like curtains an open window. The doctors say Peter is just fine. He does not feel fine. His baby sister has just died. She reminded him of a gingerbread man. She was plump and smelled of ginger and nutmeg. His mother smelled of cinnamon. Peter tried making gingerbread recently, but the cinnamon was too strong.

He didn’t even put cinnamon in.

Peter’s big white dog yaps downstairs. She is the color of snow and a little lighter than the carpet. The color of lace if lace feels like flour. Peter is annoyed at this dog, although he used to love her. Funny how loving gets so very old. Familiarity breeds contempt, they say. “They” are correct. Perhaps this is why Peter loves his sister so. She is not familiar and never was. Often, Peter thinks of the everyday things that would be different if she were around. The cinnamon roll in the middle is his today. He wishes they could split it. He wishes she could have it. Damn. Mom brings up the pan of rolls and her hair floats around her head, dead skin around a dead face.  Peter licks his lips, reaching down to grab the middle roll.


it’s already gone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulitzer

I. I am reading a children’s book called Hamish and Trieta , in which Hamish is a cow and Trieta is a bird. These two become fast friends. Good pals. Buddies. Sometimes the bird sits upon the cow’s back. Often the cow wishes he might sit upon the bird’s back, but of course this is impossible. The poor darling bird simply flits away, c hirping, chirping, always chirping, full of nonsense, not explaining. They fall apart, like many others in this fickle universe. Separated. I close Hamish and Trieta . What a hideous story. I was seduced by its whimsical cover, entranced by its gilded pages. Mother bought it for me ages ago from some downtown bookstore with cerulean walls.  Pulitzer, declares the cover, in golden script. I do not understand what a Pulitzer is and I do not particularly care.             I am a child, yet I know that horrid things do not deserve Pulitzer awards. Rage, like vomit, pools in my throat. ...

The Anatomy of One Particular Newt and All Events Concerning

I don’t understand why you people keep pronouncing me late.  Why, I missed the entire school day, plus a couple more! If my absence can be dubbed “tardiness,” than my dead newt can certainly pass as art work.  I cannot believe that you would be so shallow as to say it is trash. Really, The insolence of some people. My newt was top notch.  No one should ever be allowed to judge art work unless they understand the simple beauty of it all.  If anything expresses the miracle of life, it is a newt’s organs pinned to a poster board. Abstract art, some would say, but not I.  Abstraction is the mystery of life, but functionality of a newt is the proof of it. And what more is art than the celebration and proof of the miraculous world that we all inhabit?   Ah, but that is not the point of the matter.  My tardiness, or absence as I would say, is the matter at hand.  It was a frightening experience, and cannot be expressed in a 100 words, as yo...

Fragile

There are some fragile things -- things that don't seem like they should be fragile, but are. Mostly you don't think about fragile things. It's almost as if to think about them would be all at once to crush them. Like my mother's satin pea coat -- stiff and hanging in her closet all these years. As if she would have worn it all these years, with her three rowdy boys.  "Aren't the clouds nice?" Marilyn said the other day, when we were sitting on the roof. Marilyn is my girlfriend, and she likes being in high places.  I looked for a while before I responded, noting the crumpled cashmere clouds in their constant state of change.  "Yes," I lied. Clouds are one of those things you don't think about often, but when you do, you realize that you have absolutely no control over them. None at all.  On Friday, Mom wore her pea coat. She said it was brown but it was definitely black. She looked weird, all dressed up like that. ...